Friday, January 20, 2006

Whatchu talkin' bout?



Back in the days when I was young, I'm not a kid anymore
But some days I sit and wish I was a kid again…. – Ahmad

This morning, I was talking to my home-girl [and future contributor] Brittni about the fact that I’m about to be 25 [where did all the time go?]. She is also heading that direction very soon. She opined to me the thought that we are going into a phase in which we call the “quarter-life crisis”. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Man, I feel old.
Britt: You are old, dude. I think I saw a gray hair in your nose the other day.
Me: I’m serious.
Britt: Sorry. I feel you though. I’m hitting the big 2-5 next month and I’m having panic attacks already. Shouldn’t I be more settled, more successful, more affluent by now?

When we were still in college, didn't 25 seem like the epitome of cool 20s? I mean at 25 you were supposed to have this bangin' ass job that 4 years of attending classes at whatever bullshit university you went to was supposed to prepare you for. You thought at 25 that you’d be dating some hottie, or at least sleeping with a few, at 25 you were supposed to be totally off of mom and dad's financial tit and better still, you were still 5 years away from the dreaded 30 so you could still party like you had no worries.

I don’t know Jorge, I just thought stuff would be better when I was 25.

Okay, I’m depressing myself now, never mind. Don’t write about that in your blog, right about something light and easy or funny…why don't you write about bunnies or Yo! MTV Raps!
Me: That’s a great idea.

And so I bring THE LIST of my life from then to now…. add yours if you feel reminiscent.
[DISCLAIMER I had a lot of time on my hands]

THE LIST!
(in no particular order)
Another Bad Creation
A Tribe Called Quest


Basement Parties
BET (when it was still Black-owned)
Biking Shorts
Boyz N The Hood
Busta Rhymes
CB4


C + C Music Factory
Click-Clackers
Cross Colours
Different Strokes


Different World

Dookie Braids
Eddie Murphy – Party All The Time
Filas
Finger Waves
Fingerin’ - (According to Brittni, the most painful introduction to foreplay a 15 yr. old girl could ever go through)
Flamin’ Hots
Freddie Jackson
Freeze Pops
Friday Night Videos
Gold Chains
Gumby
Hammer Pants

Hickeys
Higher Learning
Hi-Top Fades
Hitz from the Street
Immature
In Living Color
Jade – Don’t Walk Away
Jodeci Boots (Doc Martens)
Kriss Kross

Karyn White
Keith Sweat
Lemonheads
LL Cool J
Michael Jackson (the black one)
Michael Jackson (the mulatto)
Mike and Ike’s
Montell Jordan – This Is How We Do It
Now or Laters
Overalls with one strap off
Pagers
Pickles with Peppermints in the middle
Picture Pages
Prince and the Revolution
Q-Bert
Reading Rainbow ROC
Saturday Morning Cartoons (Thundercats, G.I. Joe, He-Man)
Selling Kool-Aid
Shelltoe Adidas
Street Fighter 2
Stupid A** Phrases [Sike, Word Up, Outtie 5000, Boooyyee, Peace Out, Word to Your Mutha]
Technotronic – Pump Up The Jam
The Arsenio Hall Show
The Butterfly/Tootsie Roll
The Cabbage Patch
The Cosby Show
The Locomotion
The Sinbad Show
Towel Coats
Triple Phat Goose
Urkel
Vanilla Ice Webster
Will Smith - Summertime
(Malcolm) X
Young MC
Zack Morris – Saved By The Bell

Here's to the next 25 years!

Related Posts with Thumbnails