Wednesday, July 26, 2006

What's Mine is... Yours?

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, mammals and cats; I am back once again, fresh from a weekend of living in the lap of laziness. Unfortunately, I'm back in the office, looking over my accrued bills and wondered when the hell I became an adult. It seems like it was just yesterday when I walked into the kitchen to get my lunch money and my trusty Trapper Keeper before the yellow bus arrived - ahh, those were the days.

Now I have to worry about things like prostate cancer, staying regular and male-pattern baldness - isn't that exciting?!!

I will, however, say that it makes you appreciate the finer things in life like - friendship. My friends are like family to me. They keep my sense of humor intact during those bumpy periods and diffuse my anger when the Angry Black Man appears.


My folks, my people - they keep my head clear and help me to make better decisions. It's hard to find people that you click with; people that you can develop a sincere bond with. What's mine is theirs, and vice versa with my notable exception my relationships. To be honest, it's one of the reasons I gained one of my closest friends...

During my freshman year of high school, I had the biggest crush on a young lady. She made my little heart beat a million times a minute. She had a smile that would light up a room and a walk that would put a rise into my life. A lot of guys were interested in her, including my boy. One day, we were discussing something and she walked by and called him over to her locker. All of sudden, she kissed him on the cheek and slid him her phone number (fast ass!).

Needless to say, I was crushed. My boy saw my pain and came to me. He tore up her phone number and told me that he wasn't going to let a female come between our friendship. I might not have made the same decision at the time; but hey, my hormones were like on 10,000! That day he went from being my boy to my best friend. Now that is true loyalty - shout out to 8th Letter...


Things like that go a long way, which is why I believe that adage he presented to me that day: never let someone come between you and your friendship. I have a strict rule to never date anyone that my friend(s) have ever been remotely involved with. I don't care if she just grabbed his butt one day at a party I'm not talking to the chick. In return, I expect that same type of treatment.

Is it selfish? Maybe.

Immature? Probably.

However, it is something that I hold dear to my heart. How come you even fix your brain to even think that I would be OK with that? I don't care that I'm not with them. I may be disgusted with that individual - but as my partner in crime, my ace-boon-coon, my homie - you have to hate her. Ok, stop laughing so hard at me - this is serious business. This is someone that I had feelings for, someone that I may or may not have shared intimate thoughts with - and you want to snuggle up with them?

That definitely makes me question if your friendship is truly genuine.

It'll have you thinking things like:

"How long as this fool been scheming to get [insert name]'s draws?"
"No wonder he was telling me how tight she was"
"She was always telling me he was no good!"


No one wants to bring that drama into a friendship. I don't care how good he or she looks, how your friend doesn't deserve them because he or she is dogging them out, it's just not worth it unless of course, you all aren't really that close anyway - then it's on like a house full of electricity!

That's my time... - Jorge
Related Posts with Thumbnails